Architecture Department Student Clubs
The following student clubs are based in the Architecture Department. In addition to the student clubs listed below, there are additional clubs associated with the CAED and each department. For a full list of these clubs go to the CAED Student Clubs web page.
Alpha Rho Chi (APX)
Alpha Rho Chi (APX) is a National Professional Fraternity for Architecture and the allied arts since 1914. APX promotes the profession of architecture by encouraging students to excel and to be strong leaders and designers in the profession.
Alpha Rho Chi meets Sundays at 8:10PM in Building 05, Room 100.
- President: Regan Dyer, email@example.com
- Vice President: Elena Villaescusa Pineda, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Treasurer: Samantha Ihle, email@example.com
- Clerk: Zackary Moore, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Scribe: Ziyi Wang, email@example.com
- Superintendent: Ali McBride, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pledge Trainer: Ben Johnson, email@example.com
- Professional Director: Lisa-Marie Mueller, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Social Coordinator: Peter Williams, email@example.com
- Faculty Advisor: Tom di Santo, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Faculty Advisor: Ryan Brockett, email@example.com
The American Institute of Architecture Students (AIAS)
The AIAS is the country's largest organization for students of architecture, providing the best programs, information and resources available. The AIAS is the student affiliate of the AIA and your link to professionals in the fields of architecture and environmental design. The mission of AIAS is to promote excellence in architecture education, training and practice; to foster an appreciation of architecture and related disciplines; to enrich communities in a spirit of collaboration; and to organize architecture students and combine their efforts to advance the art and science of architecture.
- President: Alex Siegel
- Vice President: Ricardo Hesse
- Past President: Liam Hanlon
- Secretary: Violeta Smart
- Treasurer: Crystal Ueno
- Academic Events/Marketing Coordinator: Jaynee Chwa
- Academic Events Support: Allegra Strauss
- General Marketing Coordinator: Deniz Karadere
- Social Events Coordinator: Monica Lim
- Fundraising Coordinator: Austin Zhu
- Historian: Maya Mashiach and Zack Pasma
- F-Stop Directors: Hannah McKay and Jeff Escamilla
- Freedom by Design Director: Renu Vardheesh
- Freedom by Design Associates: Emma Fergueson, Tess Stilman and Haley Baquian
- Faculty Advisor: Greg Wynn, firstname.lastname@example.org
- AIA: Central Coast Chapter President: Andrew Goodwin,email@example.com
Construction Specifications Institute Student Club (CSI)
The Construction Specifications Institute (CSI) is a professional organization comprised of a cross section of architects, contractors, engineers, specifiers, material suppliers, and more. There are 146 chapters and more than 15,000 members.
CSI uses the diversity of its members to exchange knowledge and to help advance the process of creating and sustaining the build environment. The formats created by CSI are used as the standard for organizing and communicating information in the construction industry.
The Cal Poly chapter of CSI was started in 1970 by a group of architecture students under the guidance of architect and professor, Jack Lewis. Lewis was a former CSI President and started the organization to allow Cal Poly students access to the diverse wealth of knowledge offered by CSI.
The Neel Resources Center (NRC), now located in the architecture building, was started by the Cal Poly CSI chapter in 1970. Run by students and Fresno Chapter volunteers, the "CSI Library" was used to help students find plans, specifications, product information, and material samples for design projects and writing specifications.
At Cal Poly, we bring in product representatives and speakers to discuss new technology and issues concerning the construction industry. Cal Poly CSI also provides tours of buildings on campus as well as of local firms. There are plenty of networking and traveling opportunities as well — we’re always fundraising to send our members to the West Region Conferences and the annual CSI Convention.
National Organization of Minority Architecture Students (NOMAS)
NOMAS is the student branch of the National Organization of Minority Architects (NOMA). NOMA’s purpose is to champion diversity within the design profession by promoting the excellence, community engagement, and professional development of its professional and student members. NOMA is all about opportunity – members become part of a network of over 500+ professionals and over 50 student chapters nationwide. This extensive network provides members with opportunities to network and develop crucial professional relationships. The mentorship and support openly shared between the professional members and students is truly unique and often leads to internships and full time employment opportunities upon graduation.
- President: Tunmi Da Silva
- Vice President: Purvaa Goel
- Treasurer: Colin Ridgley
- Secretary: Sydney Nguyen
- Historian: Daniel Williams
- Faculty Advisor: Chandrika V. Jaggia, firstname.lastname@example.org