ARCH 131 Supply Kit
- The ARCH 131 Supply Kit will be available from:
- Cal Poly University Bookstore
- Art Central in San Luis Obispo (where students may pre-order the kits and pick them up in the store starting the 3rd week of August). Click here for more details on the Art Central kits.
EDES 123 materials
- The required course material for EDES 123 is now available for purchase. Environmental Design: An Anthology (Preliminary Edition) is published and distributed by Cognella, Inc.
- When you purchase directly from Cognella, you'll receive the lowest price, as well as immediate access to your materials so you can start reading and studying right away.
- Purchase your course material here: https://store.cognella.com/82122-1b-ni-001
- This course material includes information that we will reference and use in class regularly, so you should be sure to purchase your own copy. Please keep in mind that our institution is strict about copyright law and course material should never be copied or duplicated in any manner.
Major & Support Courses
It is important to understand the sequential nature of the Architecture curriculum. Many courses are delivered as a series (i.e., ARCH 131, 132, 133). Each course in such a series is offered only once a year and is the prerequisite to the next course. These series are arranged to be taken in one academic year. Students who do not follow the recommended schedule of courses may find that it takes them longer to complete the program.
If you have difficulty registering for any major or support course, contact the Architecture Department right away for advice and assistance. If all design studios are full, go to the Current Students page and fill out the Design Studio Request Form.
Architecture-related course descriptions can be found at architecture.calpoly.edu/current/course_descriptions.
EDES 123 Introduction to Architecture & Environmental Design (1): EDES 123 is offered every quarter and should be taken within the first year.
ARCH 101 Survey of Architectural Education and Practice (1): This course supplements the objectives of ARCH 131, 132 and 133. Every freshmen student should be enrolled in ARCH 101 Fall, Winter, and Spring quarter. It is CR/NC grading.
Arch 131, 132, 133 Design & Visual Communication (4 each): Every freshmen student should be enrolled in ARCH 131 Fall quarter. It is the beginning course in the first year design and drawing studio program sequence. You should enroll in ARCH 132 winter quarter and ARCH 133 spring quarter.
Math 141 Calculus I & Math 182 Calculus for Architecture & CM Students (4 each): The two required math courses should be completed during your first year. It is important to enroll in MATH 141 fall quarter. Note that MATH 142 may be taken in place of MATH 182 to meet the second math requirement.
Physics 121, 122 General Physics (4 each): It is desirable for you to complete both physics courses during your first year. Physics 121 is a prerequisite for the second year structures courses and Physics 122 is required for ARCH 207. Note that PHYS 141 & 132 can be taken in place of PHYS 121 & 122.
General Education & Breadth (GE&B) (4 each)
- ENGL 134 should be taken as soon as possible in your first year.
- COMS 101 or 102 (Speech) may be taken if you cannot enroll in ENGL 134 or have received AP credit for English.
- Take other GE&B courses as necessary to complete your schedule and graduation requirements.
See Computer Requirements for more information on hardware and software requirements.
Design Studio Offerings
The first year design faculty are looking forward to working with you and anticipate an exciting, creative, productive and successful year. The table provides an overview of the faculty that will be teaching during the coming academic year. This is followed by information on each faculty member and the studios that they will be teaching. The information will be updated each quarter.
1st year Coordinator
Prof. Emily White
The following teaching assignments are contingent on budget, quarterly budget adjustments, student enrollment, and space availability.
Click on the faculty name below to link to their Faculty Directory webpage.
|Fall 2018: ARCH 131||Winter 2019: ARCH 132||Spring 2019: ARCH 133|
|Emily White (coordinator)|
For assistance with using the Curriculum Flowchart, please contact the Architecture department.