Blended BARCH + MSARCH
Blended Bachelor of Architecture + Master of Science in Architecture
For motivated students, a blended master of science program, also referred to as a 5 + 1 program, is available. The blended program allows students to simultaneously complete both a BARCH and an MSARCH. The blended program offers promising individuals an opportunity to continue their studies in architecture in a collaborative multi-disciplinary learning environment.
Eligibility for the Blended Program
Acceptance into the blended program is contingent upon completion of the fourth year of the Architecture courses and 205 units. Please note that all blended program applicants must have completed their Graduation Writing Requirement (GWR) prior to acceptance. The Architecture Graduate Committee reviews all applications and selects individuals with records that demonstrate success at the undergraduate level and potential to succeed at the graduate level. Candidates shall meet the University requirements, as a minimum, stated in “Blended BS+MS Programs” in the Graduate Programs section
(catalog.calpoly.edu/graduateeducation/#generalpoliciesgoverninggraduatestudiestext), in addition to the requirements outlined in the "MS ARCH Program Supplemental Components" by the Architecture Department MSARCH Program.
Students wishing to pursue the blended BARCH + MSARCH degree shall complete the Blended BARCH + MSARCH application. Applicants may contact the MSARCH coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org, after their third year of the BARCH program for further information.
Blended Applications Admission's Process Opens up on October 1st for the Following Fall Start.
Blended Bachelor of Architecture + Master of Science in Architecture Flow Chart
(click to enlarge)
Blended Flow Chart Notes:
- The blended BARCH Fifth Year & First Year of MSARCH provides the opportunity to complete this graduate program in one additional year.
- There are separate BARCH and MSARCH capstone experiences. For the BARCH, undergraduate students complete senior project requirements in ARCH481/492 and for the MSARCH a master's research project is developed in ARCH 598. The capstone experiences for BARCH and MSARCH must be different research projects.
- ARCH 551 is advanced building design studio in collaborative interdisciplinary teams.
- For ARCH 598, all students must select a faculty advisor that has agreed to work with you on your research project.
- Professional elective courses 400 level and above can be counted for MSARCH electives.
- 1 unit of CE is required when no classes are being taken during the quarter of the MSARCH.
- All students MUST satisfy the requirements of the BARCH degree to participate in the MSARCH program and successfully complete the Graduate Education Departments required forms by no later than the beginning of week two of spring quarter.
- Can double count identified 9 units from BARCH for MSARCH Degree.
- Can use excess BARCH electives (400 level +) for MSARCH Degree.