CAED/Architecture Summer Career Workshop
The Summer Career Workshop will return to our 4-week in-person workshop for Summer 2022, from June 19-July 15th, culminating in a gallery exhibit open to parents, families and supporters. Through this hands-on studio experience, students are introduced to design fundamentals such as introducing light and shadow, space and sequence, texture, materiality and climate as well as computer applications, structural engineering, and site and community planning. Through daily projects, students will develop a portfolio of work over these 4 weeks. The workshop is led by CAED faculty with small studios led by recent architecture graduates as mentors and guides.
No previous experience with architecture, drafting or art is necessary.
Participating students live on campus in Cal Poly residence halls, where they become familiar with the dynamics of university life. Supervision is provided by live-in counselors from the CAED. Responsibility and social skills develop as long-term friendships emerge.
From this experience, students are able to discern their interest in architecture as a field of study and career, as well as adjacent fields in city and regional planning, landscape architecture, architectural engineering, or construction management.
Workshop dates - June 19 - July 15, 2022
The workshop studios are in session from 9am-4pm M-F, and Saturdays from about 10:30-3:30pm. Unlike lecture-based learning that many students are familiar with, in the workshop students are so engaged with hands-on projects they quickly realize that this time passes quite quickly! Social activities are equally important to the academic life of the workshop, with both evening and Sunday activities planned around student engagement and interaction.
Cost and Registration
Registration is on-line through the following link:
Registration is based on the following requirements:
- Students must be a minimum of 15 years old to attend, and must be in high-school, consequently most students are rising juniors and seniors.
- For students that are graduating this year but plan on attending community college, we will consider their attendance as space allows.
- For this summer, all students will be required to be fully vaccinated, including booster.
- Unfortunately, we do not have the testing infrastructure during the summer for non-matriculated (ie non-Cal Poly) students to accept those with vaccine exceptions.
- Please note there is not a separate review or admissions process for the workshop, as we recognize all students must begin somewhere! In previous summers, we have had space for all students that wish to register, about 75-80 students. If you have successfully registered, you are in the workshop!
The registration cost for Summer 2022 online workshop is $5,950. This includes room and board and all course costs, with the exception of a small kit of supplies students will be asked to purchase in advance, and about 4-5 meals on the students own (such as during Thursday night Framer’s Markets). Students are also expected to bring a laptop or chromebook.
For local area student’s that do not require room and board, we also have a commuter rate of $2,950.
For students that qualify for the Federal Free and Reduced Lunch Program, we have a limited number of scholarships we encourage you to apply for here.
For More Information
If you are interested in this summer or a future summer, please be sure to sign-up on our Email Interest List. And, if you have further questions, please contact Summer Career Workshop Director Mark Cabrinha at firstname.lastname@example.org.