Areas of Expertise
M Arch, University of California, Berkeley, CA
Bachelor of Arts in Environmental Design (B.A.E.D.), University of Washington, Seattle
Bachelor of Arts in Modern History (B.A.), University of Washington, Seattle
Professor, Architecture Dept., Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, CA
Visiting Professor, Università di Camerino, Scuola di Architettura e Design di Ascoli Piceno, Italy
Associate Professor, Architecture Dept., Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo CA
Visiting Associate Professor, Pennsylvania State University Program in Rome, Italy
Visiting Associate Professor, University Studies Abroad Consortium (USAC); Turin, Italy (Seminar on Hilltown Morphology)
Associate Professor, (w / tenure) Dept. of Architecture, University of Idaho
Assistant Professor, Dept. of Architecture, University of Idaho, Moscow, ID
Lecturer, Department of Architecture, University of California, Berkeley
Owner/Architect, Jonathan Reich Architects: Numerous built projects under my license in California & Washington including theaters, cultural centers, award-winning homes, public school buildings, and other public work.
California Office of the Sate Architect Construction Inspector for Public Schools
Registered Architect, California #18262
Registered Architect, Washington #5229
Board of Directors, Cal Poly Housing Corporation, developer of 69 units of affordable housing for faculty in San Luis Obispo, Ca.
Society of Building Science Educators (SBSE)
Selected Publications and Recent Research:
- Research grant team member of “SFC2: Sustainable Future of Coastal Cities” National Science Foundation (NSF) Sustainable Research Network (SRN) $12 million grant application team (w/Siembieda, Riggs, et al), 2014.
- Design Proposal: “The Palpability of Literature and Architecture: A Library in New Orleans,” with former thesis student Caela Beane in the book New Orleans Under Reconstruction: The Crisis of Planning Edited by Carol McMichael Reese, Michael Sorkin, and Anthony Fontenot. Verso, NY, 2014.
- Design Proposal: “Collettore di nebbia Il sistema per catturare H2O dall’aria umida” (Urban Fog Collector System) with former master’s degree student Alessio Franconi Design thesis in the Le Marché architecture and design journal Mappe 3.0: luoghi percorsi progetti nelle marche. Ancona, Italy, 2012.
- Abstract for paper, “A River Runs Through It: Environmental Planning Val Menocchia,” XIV International Forum Le vie dei Mercanti - World Heritage & Degradation:
- Smart Design, Planning and Technologies” at Seconda Università di Napoli Facoltà di Architettura Luigi Vanvitelli e Scuola di Dottorato in Discipline dell’Architettura
- Commissione nazionale italiana per l’UNESCO, Naples and Capri, Italy. 2016.
- 2015: Design Juror, American Institute of Architects (AIA) Monterey Bay Design Awards Program. 2015.
- Peer-reviewed presentation: “An Award-Winning Model for Inter-disciplinary Education in Sustainability; Successes, Challenges, Lessons” at California Higher
- Education Sustainability Conference(CHESC), San Francisco State University in session “Beyond Silos: Sustainability across the Curriculum in Diverse &
- Interdisciplinary Contexts.” 2015.
- Peer-reviewed abstract for paper “Paradigmatic and Exemplary Environmental Design For “Val Menocchia” at “Heritage and Technology: Mind, Knowledge,
- Experience” XIII Forum Internazionale di Studi, Università di Napoli Facoltà di Architettura Luigi Vanvitelli e Scuola di Dottorato in Discipline dell’Architettura
- Commissione nazionale italiana per l’UNESCO, Naples & Capri, Italy. 2015.
- Co-Organizer, Presenter, Critic: “Coast2Coast” Workshop Internazionale Sulla Citta’ Costeria (w/Cristiano Toraldo di Francia) at School of Architecture &
- Design, University of Camerino, Asacoli Piceno, Italy. 2004-2013.
- International Scientific Committee: “Safeguard of Architectural, Visual, Environmental Heritage (SAVE)” IX International Forum of Studies Conference Università di
- Napoli Facoltà di Architettura Luigi Vanvitelli e Scuola di Dottorato in Discipline dell’Architettura e Commissione nazionale italiana per l’UNESCO. Naples & Capri, Italy. 2011.
- “Best Practice“ Award for “Sustainability In Academics” from California Higher Education Sustainability Conference(CHESC) for CAED SE Minor program. 2015.
- “Green Award” for Sustainable Environments minor EDES courses from U.S. Green Building Council Central Coast Chapter (USGBC C4), Santa Barbara, CA. 2013.
- “First Prize” International ACSA AISC Steel Design Competition award: My thesis student David Heck and I received an award for project “Paris Market Lab.” 2012.
- “Design Innovation Award” American Wood Products Council Woodworks For Non-Residential Construction design awards program for Studio Consilio bench. 2012.
- “Faculty Merit Award“ Cal Poly Architecture Department’s peer award for “outstanding meritorious achievement” as a faculty member. 2011.
- United States Fulbright Scholar grant award to teach and conduct research at Università di Camerino, Scuola di Architettura e Design di Ascoli Piceno, Italy. 2011.