Studio Use Policy
This policy gives specific directions on how to care for the Architecture Department labs, CAED buildings, and adjacent grounds. A hard copy can be obtained at the Architecture Department, 05-212a.
How to Keep Our Educational Environment Healthy, Safe, and Conducive to Learning
- Keep your studio trash-free by dumping overfull trash bins in nearby dumpsters.
- Studio tables should be protected from cutting, gluing, painting, and other destructive processes.
- Do not attach anything to the exterior or interior of buildings without permission from the Dean’s office.
- Graffiti both inside and outside the buildings is not allowed.
- Do not suspend anything from the beams, ceiling, ceiling tiles, or light fixtures in your lab.
- Leave your furniture at home! Do not bring sofas, stuffed chairs, or bedding into the labs.
- Leave our furniture in the room where you found it! Do not take indoor furniture or equipment outdoors.
- Park your bike in the bike rack outside.
- A 3’ walking path must be maintained between studio tables at all times.
- Power tools should only be used in the Support Shop.
- Spray paint should only be used in the paint booths.
- Toxic materials should only be used in the outdoor spaces of the Support Shop.
- The studio sink is no place to discard food or other materials such as glue, plaster, cement, or paint.
- Lock doors, close windows, and turn off lights if you are the last person to leave the studio.
Take Care of Yourself Too!
- Consuming alcohol or smoking is not permitted in the studio.
- Always have a studio buddy so that you are never alone in the studio, especially late at night.
- Each studio has a first-aid kit; use it or visit the Health Center when you need to. Call 911 for emergencies.
- Small refrigerators, microwaves, and coffee makers may be responsibly used in the studio. Hot plates, toaster ovens, and propane stoves are not permitted.
- If the lab is too hot or too cold, report the problem to the Architecture Department at 805.756.1316. Do not utilize a personal space heater or fan.
End of Quarter Clean Up is Everyone’s Responsibility
- At the end of each quarter you should leave the lab as clean as or cleaner than you found it. A cleaning fee of up to $200 per student will be charged if the studio is left dirty.
- It’s easy to be green! Recycle wood, paper, metal and other materials. Place what is left over into trash bins.
- Isn’t it cool that you get a key to your lab? If you lose the key or turn it in late, you will be subject to a fine of up to $250. Be sure to return your key and/or report a lost key to the Campus Key Shop (Bldg. 58, room 103).
- Fees will be charged for items missing or damaged during the quarter. Unless one or more students claim responsibility, these fees will be divided and charged to the entire class:
|16-outlet power strip||Up to $150|
|A-La-Carte studio chair||Up to $225|
|60” x 36” maple-top main desk||Up to $450|
|72” x 36” maple-top side desk||Up to $450|
|42” LCD screen||Up to $1,600|
|24” iMac||Up to $1,750|
|Projector screen||Up to $1,500|
|Drafting board||Up to $450|
|First-aid kit||Up to $250|
- Miscellaneous damage and repairs including but not limited to removal of inventory tags, graffiti, engraving, removal of furniture parts, damage of furniture will be charged based on assessment of replacement/repair.
If You See a Problem or Need Help, Here’s Who to Call:
- Report all unsafe conditions, necessary repairs, or other concerns to your studio instructor and the Architecture Department at 805.756.1316 or email@example.com.
- Report broken or missing furniture to the Architecture Department.
- Report theft or vandalism to the to the Architecture Department and the University Police at 805.756.2281.