Andrew Goodwin, AIA, LEED AP
Areas of Expertise
Social Impact Design
Andrew is a licensed architect in the state of California, and has almost a decade of experience designing and consulting throughout California, as well as Connecticut, New York, and Washington. Andrew is a sole practitioner in San Luis Obispo, and currently runs the design consultancy Andrew Goodwin Designs. Andrew previously was the co-founder and principal architect for ConsciousBuild, Inc, a design, build, and development firm with its roots in sustainability and design activism.
Andrew is also a strong believer in designing for the common good, and helped to co-found Journeyman International's RED Studio. As the architectural director of Journeyman International (JI), he oversees JI’s fifth year students at Cal Poly as they work through JI's thesis curriculum. JI works to provide nonprofits and NGOs around the world with design and construction services by tethering university students to this global urgency.
Andrew is a writer and recently co-founded and was the inaugural Editor-in-Chief of PUBLIC Journal. PUBLIC Journal is a quarterly publication dedicated to providing a larger platform for the impact design movement.
Bachelor of Architecture, Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo
California State University at Florence, Italy (Off-Campus Program)
Part-time Lecturer, 3rd Year Studio, Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, CA
Part-time Lecturer, 4th Year Interdisciplinary Studio, Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, CA
Owner, Andrew Goodwin Designs, San Luis Obispo, CA
Director of Architecture, Journeyman International, San Luis Obispo, CA
Principal Architect, ConsciousBuild, Inc., San Luis Obispo, CA
Co-Owner/Editori-in-Chief, PUBLIC Journal, San Luis Obispo, CA
Contributing Writer, Inhabitat.com, New York City, NY
Project Manager, Ravatt Albrecht & Associates, Inc., San Luis Obispo, CA
Licensed Architect, California C-34213
LEED Accredited Professional, 2009
American Institute of Architects, A/ACCC President, 2016-Present
American Institute of Architects, A/ACCC President-Elect, 2014-2015
Selected Publications and Recent Research:
- “Resilience Energizes the AIA’s Philanthropic Efforts.” PUBLIC Journal, Fall 2014.
- “Aiding the Tenderloin through Design.” PUBLIC Journal, Fall 2014.
- “The SHED: A Modern Grange in Healdsburg.” PUBLIC Journal, Summer 2014.
- “Swings for Dreams.” PUBLIC Journal, Summer 2014.
- AIA Entrepreneur Summit 2015. Panelist on “Architecture and Communication”. Denver, CO. July 21-22, 2015.
- Director of Humanitarian Design Summer Workshop. Journeyman International. San Luis Obispo, CA. Summer 2015
- PUBLIC Journal Impact Design Launch Party. Organizer and Host. San Francisco, CA. November 5, 2014.
- “Public Interest Design in Academia.” Lecture at “Design Like You Give A Damn: LIVE.”, San Francisco, CA. November 2013
- “Public Interest Architecture and Activism.” Lecture. Paris, France and Florence, Italy. October 2013.
- Green Gravity. Lecturer on Sustainable Design. San Luis Obispo, CA, February 22, 2011.