Areas of Expertise
Architectural Design, History and Theory
Architectural Rendering Drafting and Drawing
Manual Machining and Fabrication
Daniel serves as full-time faculty and program coordinator for the architecture program at Diablo Valley College, located in Pleasant Hill, California in the San Francisco Bay Area. Over the past sixteen years, Daniel has taught architecture history, architectural graphics and first and second year design studios. In the Spring semester he leads the capstone DVC design studio focusing on high-rise design as well as the Spring design-build studio which designs and fabricates projects to compete in the Cal Poly Design Village competition.
After graduating from the University of Oregon, Daniel worked briefly with architect Donlyn Lyndon FAIA, before being employed in the offices of Christopher Alexander and later with Daniel Smith and Associates in Berkeley California where he focused on sustainable design.
Daniel served as principle investigator for a recent NSF grant in digital modeling and fabrication which brought new curriculum and technology to the architecture program at DVC. Grant activities included the development of digital fabrication labs and the revitalization of the machine shop at Diablo Valley College. Other projects included developing curriculum in architecture, manufacturing and industrial design and the creation of design-build projects focusing on parametric modeling and digital fabrication.
B.Arch University of Oregon, Eugene Oregon, 2001
Lecturer, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo Fall 2019
Professor, Diablo Valley College 2003-present
Donlyn Lyndon FAIA, Berkeley, California
Patternlanguage.com (formerly the Center for Environmental Structure) Berkeley, California
Daniel Smith and Associates, Architects, Berkeley, California
- SpaceX Hyperloop Competition, faculty advisor
- Principle Investigator for National Science Foundation, Grant 1204981, Digital Modeling Analysis and Fabrication
- Lead faculty for management of Trade Adjustment Assistance Community College Career Training (TAACCCT) Grant.
- United Colors of Benetton Building Design Competition, Tehran, Iran
- Designing the 21st Century Street, 9th Street Brooklyn Design Competition
- California Greenstop Design Competition
- Vision Akureyri, Town Planning Competition, Akureyri, Iceland
- Housing and Urban Planning for 6000-8000 residents, Guanajuato, Mexico
- Queens Plaza, New York, Urban Planning Competition for the Van Alen Institute