4th Year Off-Campus Programs
This page contains information pertinent to the Architecture 4th Year Off-Campus Programs. Please carefully read all of the following information, paying special attention to notes and links. This information will help you consider your options, make educated decisions, and ultimately help you create your off-campus adventure.
Architecture students who have met the pre-requisites for entering fourth year by the end of the Summer Quarter prior to departure and who are in good academic and disciplinary standing have the opportunity to earn credit toward their B.Arch. degree while participating in a variety of off-campus programs during their fourth year of study.
Each Fall Quarter there are informational meetings for third year students to learn more about the programs that will be offered in the next academic year. See the table below for dates, times, and locations of these info sessions.
Extended Education and Off-Campus Programs
As of June 1, 2010, many off-campus programs offered by CAED, including the Architecture Department, are conducted through Cal Poly's International Center (CPIC) and Extended Education (EE). Exceptions are programs run State-side (regular Cal Poly enrollment and fees) and include exchange and study abroad partnership programs (e.g., CIEE, USAC, TEAN), co-operative education internships (co-op's) and professional studios/practicum, and CSU International Programs.
Student should be aware that Extended Education uses a separate registration system and fee schedule from the regular University System, and that there are implications for access to student financial aid. It is your responsibility to plan for these fees and to find out if your financial aid will be affected. For more information on financial aid, contact the Cal Poly Financial Aid Office (805-756-2927). For more information relating to program registration or program fees for those programs run through Extended Education, contact the Cal Poly Extended Education (805-756-2053).
Architecture Away - 4th Year Off-Campus Programs Application
The Architecture Department partners with the Cal Poly International Center (CPIC) on the online application. Architecture students planning to participate in the 4th Year Off-Campus Architecture program must go to the CPIC webpage and follow the steps to your off-campus experience.
All applications will be reviewed and verified for eligibility, which includes a minimum GPA 2.5 and sufficient progress to degree. Some programs may require a higher minimum GPA as noted. Acceptances for any off campus program are conditional based on maintaining standards for student academic and disciplinary performance.
Architecture applicants who do not complete the Arch 451 prerequisites will NOT be allowed to participate in any yearlong off campus program. These students may however still be eligible for quarter-long program(s).
You may contact the Architecture Off Campus Facilitator for any questions or concerns regarding the application process by emailing Arlene Gomez at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 805-756-1497.
2019-2020 Off-Campus Information Session Schedule
|Off-Campus General Presentation
KTGY Gallery (large)
|San Francisco||Jones, Tom|
|Schlimgen, Scott and Rankin, Tom|
|10/23/18||11AM-noon||21-105B KTGY conference||LA Metro||Phillips, Stephen|
|10/23/18||12PM-1PM||21-105B KTGY conference||Washington Alexandria Architecture Consortium (WAAC)||
Sattler, Meredith and
|10/26/18||noon-1PM||05-106||CP Global Program: Architecture in Mexico||Norman, Humberto and Williams, Barry|
|10/30/18||3PM-4PM||52-E46||National Student Exchange (NSE)||
|TBD||TBD||TBD||Cal Poly Exchange with Lucerne University of Applied Sciences, School of Engineering and Architecture||Killing, Ansgar|
|10/30/18||11AM-12PM||05-105||CP Global Program: Architecture in Japan (CPIC)||Yip, Chris|
|Washington Alexandria Architecture Consortium (WAAC)||
Brockett, Ryan and Susan Piedmont Palladino, WAAC Director
|CSU IP Germany: Architecture Direct Enrollment (Biberach)||Killing, Ansgar|
|CSU IP Italy: Architecture||Reich, Jonathan|
|CSU IP Denmark: Architecture and Design||Cabrinha, Mark|
KTGY Conf Room
|COOP/Professional Studio Program||McDonald, Margot|
|11/17/18||7PM-8PM||Outside on the south face of the ARCH building, south of 05-225.||
di Santo, Tom
|CIEE Global ARCH + Design Programs||
and Danielle Boone, CIEE
|11/30/18||1PM-2PM||52-E46||National Student Exchange (NSE)||Petranek, Chuck and Margot McDonald|
|TBD||TBD||TBD||SOM Coop Fall (ARCH)||Fowler, Tom|
|TBD||TBD||TBD||CP Exchange: L'Ecole d'Architecture de Paris-Val-de-Seine, Paris||McDonald, Margot|
*MANDATORY STUDY ABROAD 101 WORKSHOPS: Students interested in applying for an off-campus program MUST attend one of the CPIC Study Abroad Workshops and Information Sessions. Click here for dates and times.
2019-2020 Application Deadline and Notifications
ALL APPLICANTS must complete their Architecture online nomination application on or before: 11:59PM on Monday, January 7, 2019.
ALL FACULTY Recommendations are due on or before: 11:59PM on Monday, January 7, 2019. Applicants are responsible for following up with their recommenders in a timely manner that enables faculty to meet this deadline.
CSU IP Online Applicants - Additional Application Required
Deadline: Thursday, February 1, 2019
- There is an additional application for the Denmark, Biberach, Germany and Italy programs that must be completed in addition to the Architecture Department Nomination Application.
- Apply directly through the CSU IP Website.
- Additional questions regarding the CSU IP Application Process contact Monica Schechter, CPIC at email@example.com (Phone: 805-756-5964; Office: 52-E32)
No later than Friday, February 15, 2019 (after 1:00PM)
- Applicants will be notified of their off-campus program nomination by the department.
- Placement list will constitute all decisions except final CSU IP (Copenhagen, Denmark and Florence, Italy) placements that are made by the CSU Office of International Education Programs in Long Beach. Early March is the anticipated date of the CSU IP notification. Students recommended for but not subsequently accepted by IP may be considered for other off-campus study opportunities where space is available.
- Applicants will be notified through their Cal Poly email address.
Tuesday, February 19, 2019 (by 1:00PM)
- Nominatied applicants must confirm acceptance or decline of their nomination of programs to Off-Campus Program Coordinator(s).
On or before Wednesday, March 11, 2019
- The Architecture Department will notify applicants of their off-campus FINAL attending study program(s). Every attempt will be made to provide notification to all applicants to coincide with the CSU IP program notifications; which is usually sent out in early March.
On or before Monday, March 18, 2019
- Nominated applicants apply to their individual programs at aborad.calpoly.edu.
2019-2020 Off-Campus Opportunities
Click on the link to go directly to either the International Center's Study Abroad homepage or to the program's webpage.
- Programs run through Extended Education are marked as EE.
- Cal Poly tuition and EE fees are subject to University increases.
- Based on the estimated cohort of students entering 4th year, the CAED and ARCH Department reserve the right to limit the availability of off-campus programs to guarantee that all classes meet required class sizes, as well as to cancel programs due to budget and low enrollments.
- The Cal Poly International Center (CPIC) provides off-campus program opportunities for all Cal Poly students in addition to those offered through the Architecture Department. Please contact Monica Schechter at firstname.lastname@example.org or 805-756-5964 for more information regarding these offerings marked as CPIC.
- B.Arch. Curriculum Flowcharts - all catalogs
For assistance with using the Curriculum Flowchart, please contact the Architecture Department.