4th Year Off-Campus Programs
This page contains information pertinent to the Architecture 4th Year Off-Campus Programs. Please carefully read all of the following information, paying special attention to notes and links. This information will help you consider your options, make educated decisions, and ultimately help you create your off-campus adventure.
Architecture students who have met the pre-requisites for entering fourth year by the end of the Summer Quarter prior to departure and who are in good academic and disciplinary standing have the opportunity to earn credit toward their B.Arch. degree while participating in a variety of off-campus programs during their fourth year of study.
Each Fall Quarter there are informational meetings for third year students to learn more about the programs that will be offered in the next academic year. See the table below for dates, times, and locations of these info sessions.
Extended Education and Off-Campus Programs
As of June 1, 2010, many off-campus programs offered by CAED, including the Architecture Department, are conducted through Cal Poly's International Center (CPIC) and Extended Education (EE). Exceptions are programs run State-side (regular Cal Poly enrollment and fees) and include exchange and study abroad partnership programs (e.g., CIEE, USAC, TEAN), co-operative education internships (co-op's) and professional studios/practicum, and CSU International Programs.
Student should be aware that Extended Education uses a separate registration system and fee schedule from the regular University System, and that there are implications for access to student financial aid. It is your responsibility to plan for these fees and to find out if your financial aid will be affected. For more information on financial aid, contact the Cal Poly Financial Aid Office (805-756-2927). For more information relating to program registration or program fees for those programs run through Extended Education, contact the Cal Poly Extended Education (805-756-2053).
Architecture Away - 4th Year Off-Campus Programs Application
The Architecture Department partners with the Cal Poly International Center (CPIC) on the online application. Architecture students planning to participate in the 4th Year Off-Campus Architecture program must go to the CPIC webpage and follow the steps to your off-campus experience.
All applications will be reviewed and verified for eligibility, which includes a minimum GPA 2.5 and sufficient progress to degree. Some programs may require a higher minimum GPA as noted. Acceptances for any off campus program are conditional based on maintaining standards for student academic and disciplinary performance.
Architecture applicants who do not complete the Arch 451 prerequisites will NOT be allowed to participate in any yearlong off campus program. These students may however still be eligible for quarter-long program(s).
You may contact the Architecture Off Campus Facilitator for any questions or concerns regarding the application process by emailing Arlene Gomez at email@example.com or by phone at 805-756-1497.
2018-2019 Off-Campus Information Session Schedule
|10/16/17||6PM-8PM||05-105 Berg||Off-Campus General Presentation
|10/17/17||noon-1PM||05-105 Berg||San Francisco||Jones, Tom|
|10/18/17||6:30PM-7:30PM||Outside on the south face of the ARCH building, south of 05-225. Alternate venue for rainy day 05-105||CP Global Program: Architecture in Switzerland Summer & Cal Poly Exchange with Lucerne University of Applied Sciences, School of Engineering and Architecture||di Santo, Tom|
|10/24/17||11AM-noon||21-105B KTGY conference||CP Global Program: Architecture in Japan (CPIC)||Choi, Don|
|10/25/17||noon-1PM||05-106||CIEE Global ARCH + Design Programs||McDonald, Margot and Guest Speaker|
|11/2/17||11AM-noon||21-105B KTGY conference||CP Global Program: Architecture in Rome Fall||Schlimgen, Scott adn Choi, Don|
|11/2/17||11AM-noon||52-E28||National Student Exchange (NSE)||Schechter, Monica|
|11/7/17||11AM-noon||21-105B KTGY conference||LA Metro||Phillips, Stephen|
|11/7/17||noon-1PM||21-105A KTGY Gallery||Architecture Away 101 Workshop *Students will need to bring a laptop*||International Center Staff|
|11/9/17||3PM-4PM||21-105A KTGY Gallery||Architecture Away 101 Workshop *Students will need to bring a laptop*||International Center Staff|
|11/13/17||6PM-8PM||05-105 Berg||CSU IP Germany: Architecture Direct Enrollment (Biberach)||Killing, Ansgar|
|11/13/17||6PM-8PM||05-105 Berg||CSU IP Italy: Architecture||Reich, Jonathan|
|11/13/17||6PM-8PM||05-105 Berg||CSU IP Denmark: Architecture and Design||Cabrinha, Mark|
|11/13/17||noon-1PM||21-105A KTGY Gallery||Architecture Away 101 Workshop *Students will need to bring a laptop*||International Center Staff|
|11/15/17||noon-1PM||21-105B KTGY conference||COOP/Professional Studio Program||McDonald, Margot|
|11/15/17||noon-1PM||21-105A KTGY||Architecture Away 101 Workshop *Students will need to bring a laptop*||International Center Staff|
|11/16/17||11AM-noon||21-105B KTGY conference||Washington Alexandria Architecture Consortium (WAAC)||Sattler, Meredith|
|11/27/17||noon-1PM||05-106||CP Global Program: Architecture in Mexico Summer / Fall||Norman, Humberto and Williams, Barry|
|11/30/17||noon-1PM||52-E28||Architecture Away Abroad 101 Workshop *Students will need to bring a laptop*||International Center Staff|
National Student Exchange (NSE)
|12/4/17||3PM-4PM||52-E46||Architecture Away Abroad 101 Workshop *Students will need to bring a laptop* (LAST CHANCE)||International Center Staff|
|Program Canceled||Program Canceled||Program Canceled||SOM Coop Fall (ARCH)||Fowler, Tom|
2018-2019 Application Deadline and Notifications
ALL APPLICANTS must complete their online application on or before: 8:59PM on Wednesday, January 10, 2018.
ALL FACULTY Recommendations are due on or before: 8:59PM on Wednesday, January 10, 2017. Applicants are responsible for following up with their recommenders in a timely manner that enables faculty to meet this deadline.
2018-2019 IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER
Deadline: Thursday, February 1, 2018 - CSU IP Online Applicants (Secondary and Third Application)
There are two additional applications for the Denmark, Biberach, Germany and Italy programs that must be completed in addition to the ARCH Away Online Application.
- Students applying for Denmark, Biberach, Germany and Italy must complete the CSU IP (OIP - Long Beach) web application.
- Students applying for Denmark, Biberach, Germany and Italy must complete the CSU IP Cal Poly Terra Dotta System application.
- Additional questions regarding the CSU Ip Applicaiton Process contact Monica Schechter, CPIC: firstname.lastname@example.org
No later than Friday, February 9, 2018 (after 1:00PM)
- CSU IP Applicants will be notified of their off-campus program placements by the department.
- Placement list will constitute all decisions except final CSU IP (Copenhagen, Denmark and Florence, Italy) placements that are made by the CSU Office of International Education Programs in Long Beach. Early March is the anticipated date of the CSU IP notification. Students recommended for but not subsequently accepted by IP may be considered for other off-campus study opportunities where space is available.
- Applicants will be notified through their Cal Poly email address.
Tuesday, February 13, 2018 (by 1:00PM)
- CSU IP Copenhagen, Denmark, Florence, Italy and Biberach, Germany applicants must confirm TENTATIVE accepted choice(s) of their off-campus placements to Off-Campus Program Coordinator(s).
Wednesday, February 21, 2018
- All other ARCH Away program applicants will be notified of their off-campus study program placements by the department.
Tuesday, February 27, 2018 (by 4:00PM)
- All other ARCH Away program applicants must confirm FINAL accepted choice(s) of their off-campus study program to Off-Campus Program Coordinator(s).
On or before Wednesday, March 14, 2018
- The Cal Poly International Center will notify applicants of their off-campus FINAL attending study program(s). Every attempt will be made to provide notification to all applicants to coincide with the CSU IP program notifications; which is usually sent out in early March.
2018-2019 Off-Campus Opportunities
Click on the link to go directly to either the International Center's Study Abroad homepage or to the program's webpage.
- Programs run through Extended Education are marked as EE.
- Cal Poly tuition and EE fees are subject to University increases.
- Based on the estimated cohort of students entering 4th year, the CAED and ARCH Department reserve the right to limit the availability of off-campus programs to guarantee that all classes meet required class sizes, as well as to cancel programs due to budget and low enrollments.
- The Cal Poly International Center (CPIC) provides off-campus program opportunities for all Cal Poly students in addition to those offered through the Architecture Department. Please contact Monica Schechter at email@example.com or 805-756-5964 for more information regarding these offerings marked as CPIC.
- B.Arch. Curriculum Flowcharts - all catalogs
For assistance with using the Curriculum Flowchart, please contact the Architecture Department.