Areas of Expertise
M. Arch, Pratt Institute, School of Architecture, Brooklyn, New York 2008
B.L.A. California Polytechnic State University, College of Architecture and Environmental Design, San Luis Obispo, CA 2001
Assistant Professor, Architecture, California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, CA 1/2016 - Present
Assistant Professor, Landscape Architecture, University of Virginia, , University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 8/2014 - 1/2016
Virginia Teaching Fellow (Full-time, Non-tenure track), Landscape Architecture, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 8/2012 - 6/2014
Visiting Assistant Professor (Part-time, Non-tenure Track), Interior Design, Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, New York 8/2009 – 6/2012
Instructor (Full-time, Non-tenure Track), Landscape Architecture, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, New Jersey 8/2008 – 6/2012
Founder/Partner, BOTH Landscape + Architecture, San Luis Obispo, CA 2007 - Present
Architectural Designer, SYSTEMarchitects, New York, NY 2006 - 2007
Assistant Planner, Project Manager, RRM Design Group, San Luis Obispo, CA 2000 - 2007
Licenses / Registration:
Licensed Landscape Architect in the Commonwealth of Virginia, #1828
National Council of Architectural Registration Boards, Intern Development Program in process
Selected Publications and Recent Research:
- Nadia Amoroso, ed., Representing Landscapes: Hybrid. Routledge, Forthcoming 2016. Chapter submitted.
- Jillian Walliss and Heike Rahmann. Landscape Architecture and Digital Technologies: Reconceptualizing Design and Making. Routledge, Forthcoming 2016. Contributions to two chapters submitted.
- Osborn, Brian, and Jeana Ripple. “Pushing C.A.D.: Digital Design and Fabrication as Site Reading Tools.” Tectonics of Teaching: 2013 Building Technology Educators’ Society Conference Proceedings. Roger Williams University, Bristol, RI. Ed. Robert J. Dermody and Andrzej Zarzycki.
- Osborn, Brian, and Jeana Ripple. “Meta-Artifact: Linking Methods of Thinking and Making Through Computer Numerically Controlled Site Reading.” Actions: Making of Place, The National Conference on the Beginning Design Student 2013. Temple University, Tyler School of Art, Philadelphia, PA. Ed. Eric Oskey, Dennis Playdon, and Lorena Alvarez.
- Osborn, Brian, and Francis Bitonti. “Open House”. Performative Materials in Architecture and Design. Ed. Rashida Ng and Sneha Patel. Bristol: Intellect, Limited, 2013. 16, 206-207.
- Osborn, Brian. “H*Comb”. Digital Architecture: New Applications. Ed. Dimitris Kottas. Barcelona: Links, 2013. 56-63.
- Osborn, Brian. “Parasite, Interstice, Phenotype: Three Approaches to Site” & “SurfaceFX” & “TECMat”. Catalyst. Ed. Ghazal Abbasy-Asbagh. New York: Actar D, 2013. 219-222, 241-244, 245-246.
- Osborn, Brian. “Fabricating Landscape Surfaces: Redefining Digital Design and Fabrication Techniques for Landscape Architectural Applications.” 2013 Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture Annual Conference. University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas. March 29. Conference Presentation.
- Osborn, Brian, and Jeana Ripple. “Pushing C.A.D.: Digital Design and Fabrication as Site Reading Tools.” Building Technology Educators’ Society Special Focus Session at 101st Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture Annual Meeting. San Francisco, CA. March 22. Conference Presentation.
- Osborn, Brian. “Landscape Surfacing.” Faculty Design + Research Colloquium. University of Virginia School of Architecture, Charlottesville, VA. November 30. Invited Lecture.
- Bitonti, Francis and Brian Osborn. “Open House.” INPUT_OUTPUT: Adaptive Materials and Mediated Environments. Temple University, Tyler School of Art, Architecture Department. Philadelphia, PA. October 8. Conference Presentation.