Areas of Expertise
Building Technology Systems
Margaret Kirk, Assoc. AIA, is an active multi-hyphenate as an award-winning designer and artist, educated in New York and Florence, Italy, who possesses extensive experience in design, construction and project management.
Her architectural work includes a diverse portfolio ranging from small exhibitions to large eco-resorts. She has experience in domestic and international projects for renowned institutions, government agencies, development companies and celebrity clients. Her work has brought her around the world where she has participated in facade inspections and mock-ups- among other construction-related tasks and administration. She is the owner of the architectural consultancy, s.341-b and is a Passive House Institute Certified Passive House Consultant.
A former faculty member at the Pratt Institute and the School of Visual Arts, she has taught construction, technology, media and communication courses at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. She has a deep interest in the role of computational design, data, technology and fabrication as concurrent and symbiotic design generators. This serves as the heart of her think-tank, Symasign, and is driving her development of three-dimensional wind energy collection for which she is partnering with various engineers across the nation.
Maggie is a published writer and editorial board member for d3:dialog and the International Journal for Interior Architecture and Spatial Design and serves on numerous design juries.
MArch, Pratt Institute
BArch, Syracuse University
Study Abroad in Florence, Italy, Syracuse University
Adjunct Associate Professor, Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, NY 2005-2016
Adjunct Faculty, School of Visual Arts, New York, NY 2015-2016
- S.341-B Owner
- Symasign Owner
- ii journal Associate Editor
- d3:dialog Associate Editor
- dba, [NY, NY] Associate
- Khanna Schultz [Brooklyn, NY] Project Architect, Project Manager
- FLAnk [NY, NY] Project Architect, Project Manager
- Vandeberg Architects [NY, NY] Project Architect
- HGA [Minneapolis, MN] Project Architect
- Ellerbe Becket [Minneapolis, MN] Junior Architect
- American Institute of Architects: Associate AIA member
- Certified Passive House Consultant
- IVY innovators
- Passive House Alliance US Member
- Building Technology Educators Society (BTES)
- Kirk, M. (2015). "Adapting Architecture: Hacking Parasitic Technologies." d3: Adaptive Interventions
- Kirk, M. (2013). "The Dangers of Going Green." Ensia
- Kirk, M. (2013). "The Operation of Space." d3: Blur
- Kirk, M. (2012). "Technology and the Decentralized Interface." d3: Assemble. 108-111.
- Kirk, M. (2010). "Decentralized City." Sift Journal. 6-7.
- Kirk, M. (2005). "The Operation of Presence in Architecture." InProcess 11. 184.
Selected Project Publications:
- The Independent, January 2014, "Room Service: Hilton Shillim, India"
- Domus Online, January 2012, "Buildings Rooted in Two Continents"
- Dwell Online, July 2010, "Salaam Mumbai"
- Interior Design, January 2010, "Everybody, Gather Round"
- The Real Deal. July 2009, "441 East 57th Street Succeeds Because it Makes No Concessions"
- The Real Deal, January 2009, "520 West 27th Street: Dullness is Deceptive in New Design"
- Curbed, March 2008, "Curbed Inside: FLAnk's New West Chelsea Digs"
- Faculty Development Grant Pratt Institute, 2012-2013
- Faculty Development Grant Pratt Institute, 2009-2010
- Chancellor’s Award for Community Service Syracuse University
- Cutler Merit Scholarship Syracuse University
- Unbuilt Visions 2013, 2014, 2015 (juror)
- Embedded Intelligence exhibition Architectural Association Visiting School, 2015
- Sketch Universidad de Monterrey, Mexico, 2011
- Pratt Greenweek, 2010, 2013, 2014
- Van Alen Institute, 2007
- Pratt Show, 2005
- d3: Assemble (associate editor)
- iijournal (associate editor)
- d3: Blur (associate editor)